By far and away the number one covering over the steep-sloped roofs of the United States are asphalt shingles. Developed over a century ago, asphalt shingles have proven to be the most cost-effective solution to the roofing needs of American homeowners.
Organic shingles made with a base of wood fiber and asphalt have given way to fiberglass reinforced shingles which dominate the market today. These shingles offer the homeowner many choices of colors and textures, as well as length of warranty for the right, custom mix of durability, appearance and affordability.
Also used in steep-slope commercial roofing applications, asphalt shingles are available in a tremendous range of colors and styles. Designers, builders, and owners have literally hundreds of asphalt shingle products to choose from. Asphalt shingles are available in a basic “three-tab” design; the middle-range “architectural” or “laminated” shingle (most popular option); and the “top-of-the-line” heavyweight designer shingles.
Noted for their low cost and ease of application, asphalt shingles continue to be popular due to their great look. No matter the architectural or style requirement, there is an asphalt shingle produced that will fit in very nicely.
Benefits of Shingle Roofing:
- Available in a wide variety of dimensional styles, sizes, and thicknesses
- Available in dozens of designer colors
- Available with granules resistant to algae and fungus
- Water repellent
- Durable and very long-lasting
- Available with fire ratings to meet any building code
- Available with resistance to wind and hail
- Available with extended labor and material warranties